A blog about my writing – currently focused on new writing and extracts from my Nine Inch Nails book – Into The Never. Also posts about my NHS novel, Politics Of The Asylum, and poetry-film project Disappear Here.
Flick through blog posts or scroll down for full listings.
- STOP SHOUTING, START LISTENING: Trent Reznor and the genesis of The Social Network soundtrackWithin the twisted and broken heart of The Social Network movie we find a story that is really about the the growing pains of those who achieve greatness; behind every brilliant idea there lies the bodies and shattered dreams of peers and former collaborators, once friends, now sworn enemies; the many people who get used, beaten or simply left behind as fame and success, and often a toxic blend of ego and paranoia, take over.
- NEW – Edith Bowman interviews Reznor and Ross on Soundtrack Podcast!BBC Radio presenter Edith Bowman talks to the dynamic duo about their soundtrack work – a really great podcast series – definitely check out the other episodes!
- [WHAT A FANTASTIC DEATH ABYSS!] David Bowie, Nine Inch Nails and the Great BeyondIN REMEMBRANCE OF DAVID BOWIE ON HIS BIRTHDAY – 8/1/1947 – 10/1/2016 – an examination of NIN, Trent Reznor, The Downward Spiral and 1. Outside
- [Breaking The Spiral] – Netflix Documentary Reveals How Trent Reznor wrote ‘Hurt’ and The Downward Spiral Broke Into The MainstreamReznor had his doubts about Hurt, conscious that even though it is not explicitly about suicide, perhaps a death revisited, it might still allow people to wallow in its mood long enough to fantasise about their own passing. Even though Hurt perhaps offers a glimpse of hope, it remains mired in realisation perhaps too late, and this distanced perspective can become appealing if it is allowed to be romanticised into the idea of being ‘in a better place’.
- [Heavy Metal Therapy] – Standing At The Edge – Mental Health and Catharsis on The Downward SpiralThe Downward Spiral is commonly acknowledged as a challenging, bleak, and sometimesContinue reading “[Heavy Metal Therapy] – Standing At The Edge – Mental Health and Catharsis on The Downward Spiral”
- INTERVIEW – NINE INCH NAILS AND THE CREATIVE PSYCHE BEHIND TRENT REZNOR’S GREATEST ALBUMLISTEN – AN EXAMINATION OF THE GROUNDBREAKING ALBUM DETAILS THE SOUND, THEMATIC SCOPE, AND ENDURING LEGACY OF ONE OF NINE INCH NAILS’ MOST IMPORTANT MASTERWORKS!
- [RUINER] – REZNOR LEARNS TO LIVE THE LIESo much of The Downward Spiral deals with things falling apart. AcrossContinue reading “[RUINER] – REZNOR LEARNS TO LIVE THE LIE”
- Nin-spirational Music BooksA list of some of my favourite writing about music, books thatContinue reading “Nin-spirational Music Books”
- WATCH – Nine Inch Nails – Mini HBO DocumentaryIn this short film a range of musicians pay tribute to Nine Inch Nails as part of their Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction.
- Nine Inch Nails Inducted Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame 2020Nine Inch Nails have taken their place alongside fellow musical legends and industry peers – here’s how the band got there
- REAL HORRORSHOW – The Downward Spiral and Trent Reznor’s House of HorrorsThe relationship between creation of The Downward Spiral and the house at 10050 Cielo Drive, Los Angeles, is the stuff of musical legend, a dark and disturbing history that connects Nine Inch Nails, Charles Manson, The Beatles’ White Album – and pigs…
- How Pretty Hate Machine and Broken created The Downward SpiralPretty Hate Machine was released on 20 October 1989 – notable as Nine Inch Nails first album – it was also the meeting point between synth-pop, industrial music, rock, merging into alternative metal and electronica.
- WE ARE ALL PIGS. Woodstock 1994 – Nine Inch Nails Go OvergroundFast forward a few years and Trent Reznor hit the road again, revitalized following the critical reception of The Downward Spiral released in April of 1994, Nine Inch Nails entered the stage of Woodstock in that same year like returning heroes. It was with album track, “March Of The Pigs” that Reznor coined perhaps the ultimate festival anthem, its portent of self-abasement, of filth and glorious degradation, would be fulfilled by their performance at Woodstock 1994.
- REVIEW – Shard Cinema – Evan Calder WilliamsNew review up on Hong Kong Review of Books Shard Cinema chartsContinue reading “REVIEW – Shard Cinema – Evan Calder Williams”
- Politics of The Asylum – Sample [Extracted]
- READ – Politics of The Asylum – NEW ExtractThe good folks of Dostoyevsky Wannabe have featured a couple of briefContinue reading “READ – Politics of The Asylum – NEW Extract”
- The City of Tomorrow – Today!Why can’t Coventry have nice things? It’s a question asked time andContinue reading “The City of Tomorrow – Today!”
- PoTA – Reading 1An extract from Politics of The Asylum
- PoTA – a sneak peek…
- A Lover of Books – INTERVIEWI wrote Politics of The Asylum with a clear goal in mind: I wanted to provide a critique of the NHS pushed to breaking point
- How To Save The NHSA blog post produced in cooperation with the good folks at HongContinue reading “How To Save The NHS”
- INTERVIEW – Poetry FilmThis was a great interview I was invited to do last year by Chaucer Cameron and Helen Dewbery of Poetry Film Live, mostly around the Disappear Here project, but it was also a great opportunity to talk about Politics of The Asylum.
- Politics of The Asylum – ONE WEEK to Release! 8/3/2018Politics of The Asylum will be released in one week… The bookContinue reading “Politics of The Asylum – ONE WEEK to Release! 8/3/2018”
- Politics of The Asylum – one month to launch!My novel about the NHS, Politics of The Asylum is released onContinue reading “Politics of The Asylum – one month to launch!”
- Featured ContentThis is the excerpt for a featured post.